Cortex Control Cabling

In case anyone trips over the same shiz that I went through…

Initially tried plugging this into a new MacBook Pro (M1) a few different ways.

1. I had an old USB-A cable that I had to plug into a Kensington SD5700T Thunderbolt 4 Docking Station.
    QC <> USB-B > USB-A > SD5700T > USB-C > MBP: fail. I jiggled the handle for a bit but no luck.

Nothing wrong with the docking station; my UA Apollo is working through it just fine.

1. Bought a new USB-C <> USB-B cable at Amazon
    QC <> USB-B > USB-C > MBP: success!

That cable is confirmed: good.

Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks for posting, always worth trying a cable swap. Additionally, some USB cables are power only, no data. Easy to get bitten by this.

1 Like

yep, whenever I find some sliver of truth I post it. no sense in someone else tripping over the same issue :grinning:

The QC seems to not go well with a lot of docking stations, USB Hubs, dongles, etc. My connection was very glitchy at first using a USB hub (actually tried two different ones). Just like you I bought a 3m USB B to USB C cable and the connection is rock solid now :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I think it ‘could be’ an incompatibility to run Ethernet over USB when using certain hubs. I think most understand that this is not a straight USB audio connection, when using Ethernet protocol communication can get screwed up when using some standard USB hubs. Otherwise, just my $.02

1 Like

Good point! Didn’t notice initially that the OP’s cable swap meant he was no longer using a docking station. In the OP’s case, the docking station was most likely the cause of the issue.

This issue is not unique to the QC though. Other modelers are also known to have problems when not connected directly to USB ports on the computer. Doesn’t mean it can’t work with, for example, a hub, but if available, trying an available port directly on the computer should be the first course of action when encountering USB connectivity issues.

1 Like

I’m using the USB cable that came with the device and that is giving me some issues (Control crashes when entering device settings).

Is it generally the consensus that your cable and hub/docking station will either connect or not at all? As in, I can edit presets, made a backup, all those other things, just one part of Control is crashing (although it didn’t yesterday for some reason, no idea why).

Sounds like beta problems :grinning:

Generally, if the program works at all, it should work forever. That said, if the program runs fine until you do “that one thing”, then it’s probably a good idea to file it as a bug on whatever that feature is and make the devs aware of it.

Who knows, you could get something solved for all of us :person_shrugging:

In my case, bypassing the dock and using a better cable solved all of my issues - so far.

Yeah, first thing I did when that crash was repeatable was to submit a bug report. Didn’t see anyone else post about it on the forums at all, and nobody here could really help me anyway.

Different USB ports on the same computer all have the same result. It’s a minor issue for me at this point.

Also make sure you are using the feedback button inside Cortex Control.

I use my QC with a USB hub but the hub is externally powered. Works great.

1 Like