Capturing Kemper Profiles

I’ve had a Kemper Stage for over a year and while I love the sound, the interface and myriad of options is a bit daunting to use and make performances. I bought a QC before Christmas and find the sounds are comparable with a much easier to use interface.

I set about last weekend capturing my favorite Kemper profiles to the QC and most have been indistiguishable, a few seem to be lacking presence or higher end. I tried again last night using the auto set level using a looper to “play” but the level control never stops moving even after 10 minutes of looping the same thing (power chords). I finally set the level a bit hotter than the highest level achieved by the auto level value, but still the results are a bit lacking.

I am taking the main out of the kemper stage directly into the QC. I’ve turned off everything but the amp and cab in the Kemper which as I said, on most of the Kemper profiles it is indistiguishable when I do the capture, but on profiles like Mbritt’s Victory V50 2 6 profile, it is lacking presence. As well as the Mbritt Dirty Laverne Hi 3 profile. And a few others. The Dirty Lavern Hi 1 and Hi 2 as well as the Lo 1 and Lo 3 are exact replicas from the Kemper on the QC (or sound to be) but the Hi 3 I can’t get the clarity on the higher strings on the QC capture as on the original

What am I doing wrong? Or has anyone had luck capturing directly from the Kemper on some of the higher gain profiles?

1 Like

Or any other modeller for that matter. I’m unsure on how to best go about the process to essentially cart over some of my favourite tones, does anyone capture with the cabsim on the other modeller bypassed then load the IR on the QC?

Yes. I captured a few favorites from my Kemper rack. It works quite well. You might still need to ever so slightly tweak the gain and tone after the capture to perfectly match. But I think they sound great. I haven’t tried it with any others yet.

I did, and meh, was not impressed. I have the impression that it works better with real amps, and in either case it has a few things systematically off - less gain, less dynamicity (esp in the low end), more pristine sounding than the original

I have made captures from a couple of amp, drives and plugins and for the most part like anything, it was a bit of trial and error to get things just right. While I haven’t heard any captures sourced from a Kemper, I have heard some outstanding results with others sourced from other modelers. What is your setup for capturing plugins?

1 Like

hey, these topics seem to match up pretty well so I merged the threads. Hope you all find a solution!

1 Like

Hi, How did you capture your kemper? Using a Mic? Does anyone know how to capture a kemper stage? Or is it via a Mic only.
I tried capturing my kemper stage plugged into a FRFR and use the D.I but I could not get it to work.

I just captured the Kemper Stage like a pedal. No microphones.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to mic a FRFR for capturing a Kemper.

Hi, I followed instructions but could not work out where to put what leads? I know they changed the capture process a little - where did you place the ‘out lead’ the one that would go to the mic normally?

Connect Capture Out of QC to INPUT of Kemper (any pedal)
Connect OUTPUT of Kemper to Input 2 of QC

Yes. That’s it. It’s very well explained in the manual although it has some mistakes. Like this one:

Thanks, I’ll try that…

thanks, you see this did not give me much hope - when they talk about the D.I. Out - They need a step by step to capture pedals - too much to assume… Anyway I’ll try again… thanks for your help

Well… when I’ve captured a pedal I just followed step by step what the manual says and it worked just right.

1 Like

Hey, I got there in the end and captured my fav preset on from the Kemper, however it wasn’t close enough unfortunately… It wasn’t bad but still not great, i’m still struggling with gainy tones - still too boxlike and dark, I’m getting support to see if any other issues are occurring

Seems to depend greatly on gain-staging the levels right, with a bit of mysterious wizardry thrown in for good measure.

Did you disable all effects that could impact the capture like gates and compressors on the Kemper?

Use some 3rd party IR’s and don’t be afraid of PEQ.

Also I’ve not found my captures of my kemper to be great either. Always feels a bit ‘flat’ in comparison

Good point, no compression but I’ll have to check the gate… I turned off all others like the verb etc…