Can someone explain the point of the limiter on the QC outputs in I/O?

When setting my levels on the i/o screen (and on the preset output block as well) i always make sure those meters never touch red. I have never seen the limiter engage, so why are the limiters even there if they wont engage until you are well within clipping range anyways? Whats the point of them? Am i a dumb dumb?

I understand your confusion. The manual doesn’t really say much about the Output Limiter, and I’ve never really tested it, but it does say it’s there to protect against clipping. As with most hardware and even software, there is usually a few db of headroom built into the metering so that the red zone or clip lights are actually indicating the you’re just below the threshold of clipping. I’d imagine that if you push the output levels hard enough, you’d see the limiter meters start to work. Push them harder then you’d probably start to hear clipping. I’ve always been able to get plenty of output to my FRFRs and mixer without running anywhere near the red on the output meters. Set it and forget it! :wink:

Analogue clipping sounds ok, at times it is even desirable (guitar amps, distortion pedals etc…).

Digital clipping sounds horrible. Like a modem screaming in pain.

This isn’t some analgue vs digital modelling thing, clipping a DA converter just makes awful digital death noises. No one ever wants that when playing, so it will be to protect against that.

2 Likes

Yeah i understand that. My point is, my signal has to be so far into the red on the VU meter before the linkter even activates.

From my understanding, you should keep your signal in the green, touching yellow here and there (across preset output, and outputs 1-4).

If the limiter doesnt engage until youre already well into the red, whats the point of the limiter? Arent i already clipping when its going into the red on the VU’s?

1 Like

Ah, gotcha. So i am doing everything right then. Sweet!

The red will just mean you’re in danger of clipping. It’s more just to encourage you to stay away from it.

1 Like

The other thing to keep in mind is, setting the output level is not like gain staging internally. Being a final “trim” control, the noise floor should go up and down with the level setting. There is no noise advantage in running the output near maximum. All you need is to send a hot enough signal level to your FRFR, power amp, mixer, etc. that it can operate efficiently and not require excessive boosting or cutting of the next device’s input control. I set outputs 3 & 4 at minus 6db to feed balanced mic inputs on our board without any noise issues. Think of the limiter as a failsafe, not something you want to trigger.

1 Like

Sounds like what im doing. I gain stage with a maxed out boost on my pepers pedals humongous fuzz since its my loudest sound i got. Then ince i have that dialed in, i can mess with everything else. That allows me a -2db on my main output to frfr.

That seems excessive. There’s not a lot to benefit from by pegging your gain up to -2 dB. I would dial that back to -6 dB just to be safe. Let your FRFR do the heavy lifting once it receives the QC’s output signal. [But you do you.]

I was told it’s best practice to get the line 6 powercab LED to get flashing between yellow and green. If i cut the outout on the QC by 6db, ill just get solid green on the powercab. Idk lol.

If the signal going into the powercab isn’t hot enough, I’m assuming the powercab isn’t working at peak efficiency. Haven’t tried it for that reason but i could give your advice a shot.

I guess also im trying to maximize my volume potential when i jam with buds. I switched from using an XLR out for a 1/4 TRS out for the 6.5Db boost on outs 3/4.

Let me know your opinions. I’m always looking to try new things!