Big crack/pop when turning on/off QC

I’m using QC as my interface with Out 1/2 to Genelec 8330A.
Every time I turn on/off the QC , there will be a massive pop.
Even I connected 8330As which are powered up to the QC which is powered off , the massive pop still exists once I plug in the XLR cable.
I know I should turn off the 8330A first or turn on the 8330A last , but the pop is so massive.
I’m really worried that if my speakers are damaged.
Or is it ok to always keep the QC standby when I’m not using it?

Hey @hszzz,

Please reach out to support@neuraldsp.com and they can help you troubleshoot. Thanks!

NDSP recommends to use standby and or mute your speakers etc.

Was this issue ever solved?
I have the same problem with the xlr outputs 1/2.
When I turn it on it makes a loud pop during loading.
When I turn it off it makes the same loud pop and also starts to output a mildly loud fuzz/hiss.
The fuzz/hiss continues until turning back on, the loading screen starts, then there is some sort of relay that clicks. Then the fuzz/hiss stops until the loud pop happens again because I turned it back on.

Standby isn’t an option if I’m out gigging and my QC momentarily loses power.
The PA is going to recover faster than the QC and everyone is going to get a loud pop.

1 Like

Isn’t this kind of standard for anything device like this, a mixer, etc.

Turn the device on. Then the speakers.
Turn the speakers off. Then the device.

4 Likes

Is it a standard?
If so, that’s a pretty poor standard.
I’m not an audio designer, but it seems pretty preventable in 2023.

Your process sequence works except in the case that I’m worried about.
A temporary loss of power in a gig situation. (let’s face it, it happens)
QC will automatically reboot when receiving power.
During that time it gives a medium loud fuzz until a relay clicks during loading.
Then I get the loud pop about 1/4 the way during loading.
We’re talking blow your ears out loud. Not a small click.
If you’re outputting to front of house people will not be happy.

Basically I’m just trying to find out if my unit is behaving normal or not.

3 Likes

Why isn’t anyone else worried about this? Seems like a big deal to me. It makes me not wanna play live gigs with the QC until the issue is resolved!

But what if the power supply is ripped out of the unit because someone steps on it in the middle of a set?

1 Like

Because most people are smart enough to leave everything muted until their device is turned on.

Any remotely competent sound engineer should have their channels muted until the thing plugged into it is ready and on. Same for musicians.

Did you used to turn your guitar amp on first, then plug the speaker cable in, then plug your pedalboard in, turn that on and finally plug your guitar in? I would hope not.

This is to do with a the deliberately non-grounded power supply. You can remedy it by getting a different power supply, use of standby or making sure speakers are off first.

In terms of power supply, I’m using Cioks Sol. It’s an expensive upgrade but so worth it for a home set up.

Hey, all, I’ve worked in the audio industry for many dacades and this is just nature of the beast. Your amplification always goes on last and goes off first (or mutes). You won’t catch any competent audio tech turning off his board before the mains are down. Some devices are prone to noise at start up/shut down, some aren’t, but you always assume they are. I’ve worked with some very expensive gear that makes horrible noises at power-up/down. Do you unplug your guitar with your amp on? If so, STOP!

3 Likes

What about the abnormal? Like a temporary loss of power? Most powered amps will boot back up instantly while the QC takes a bit. That pop is going to get you in this instance. Even for a competent audio tech. I’ve always wondered if Helix, Fractal, etc do the same thing. I’m not an audio engineer but it seems like you could keep the outputs disconnected during boot up.

1 Like

yeah, our studios are full of devices that pop if you unplug or turn off while amplifying. It just becomes standard procedure to do it in the right order.
There’s not really any way you can prevent issues in the case of accidents as far as I know.

2 Likes

Yup, it cam happen. That same temporary black-out (or brown-out) could fry components in any number of devices, directly. It’s an imperfect world. The pop from your QC is probably hardware related and can’t be fixed with an OS update. All you can do is take precautions, follow standard operating procedures and hope the abnormal never happens?

4 Likes

Appreciate the response. Hoping the abnormal never happens is basically what I’ve been doing. It’s only happened to me once during a gig so far. I quickly pulled out the XLRs and avoided blowing everyone’s ears out.

1 Like

I believe that, in the not-to-distant future, more gear will use digital connections. This will do away with problems like ground loops, RF noise, added AD/DA latency and even pops and thumps at shut-down/power-up. Until then…