Amalgam high gain captures

First time posting. I have bought several different capture packs for the QC. I play metal mostly. I’ve had good results for the most part.

I recently bought amalgam evh 5153 and cobra framus packs. Low gain they sound very good, but the problem is I can’t get any high gain saturation tones out of any of the capture in the pack. Sounding more light crunch edge of breakup.

Am I doing something wrong with how I setup their captures? I don’t have this problem with other high gain captures I own. Do I need a boost pedal in front?

Any input would be helpful. I can hear the high fidelity of these captures. Would love to set them up properly

Have you talked to Karlis to see if he has any suggestions? He’s very helpful and interactive.

I’d definitely try with a boost or your fav OD or distortion in front.

He definitely specializes in low/mid-gain tones, so it may have to do with how he dials the amps in.

What guitar/pickups are you using?

Ltd ec 1000 emg 81 85. Dean vnmt seymour live wires. Solar v1.6 Nazgûl

Huh, those should be pretty hot humbuckers, yeah?

I tried the free Framus Cobra (gain 2) and EVH capture. They both were fairly saturated- the EVH more so, but those were probably not the highest gain out of those sets.

I’m not a high-gain aficionado, but those 2 caps did kind of seem on the “crunchier” side, as opposed to full-bore over-the-top gain.

He interacts daily in the TGP vendor thread, that might be a good place to ask him about your results:

Thank you for advice!

2 Likes

Try some different CAB/IR blocks, too. might need a speaker cone more prone to break up.

These are amp/cab captures. No DI