Adding details about publicly shared captures should be mandatory

Problem:
Right now there are a ton of captures on the cloud which have little to no information. Which can be really annyoing. Some steps have already been taken to better this issue, like the addition of gain structure and filtering by instrument. But the problem still remains.

Solution / Feature request:
When sharing a capture publicly(!), it should be mandatory(!) to fill in all predetermined spaces of details about it. The only exception would be if a picture is uploaded.
In addition to what is already in place (like author, name, preferred instrument, etc.) I would like to see added:

• Name of the actual device
  • Type of the actual device
  • Settings

There have been discussions about this before.

The majority of users will behave the same way they always have–putting in the bare amount of effort just to get their captures loaded on their Quad Cortex or up on the cloud.

• Instead of typing “Mesa Boogie Mark VII Head” in the amp device field they will type “…”

• Instead of methodically listing out their settings, they will put “Bass 1 Mid 1 Treble 1 Gain 1”, etc., whatever is the fastest way to just get through the prompt and upload

• If a photo is allowed in the place of filling out the settings fields, then users will upload literally anything just to get the capture up

Adding more fields for users to fill out is fine. The users who care will use them to everyone’s benefit.

But I definitely don’t think it should be mandatory, as aggravating as that can be for the people searching for captures. It won’t solve the problem of user-generated content; it will only result in more roadblocks for everyone.

1 Like

Even if they do fill out the info there is no way on the “file tree” to access those details.

Here are 13 Benson preamp captures I downloaded yesterday…I can sort by author, but it doesn’t say who the author is LOL WTF

1 Like

You wouldn’t have to put in any more effort then right now if you upload for yourself. Just when sharing publicly.
And even if what you described would happen, which I don’t think would be the norm, it would help. Because if someone won’t even spend like 20 seconds to add some much needed information and just types in random stuff, you can at least see that.
Say I upload a capture of my setup and name it VMT 50 M15. It makes perfect sense for me. But you most likely wouldn’t know what it even is. Is it an amp? Amp with cab? Pedal?
At the end of the day NDSP has the last word on what is being shared publicly and how it is being shared. And I think everyone would win if we would all use the same system. As long as there is no official system, everyone will use their own.

2 Likes

True, but a different topic. You could open a bug report for this issue.

Yeah it would be nice if people would add more info about their captures. Even a simple sound description would be enough.

If a capture in the cloud doesn’t have anything in the description I don’t even bother downloading. Not even to try. I just pass them over.

My take is they are shit if the uploader couldn’t be bothered to fill in some info.

Sadly the most popular ones don’t even have any description.

:white_check_mark: Adding new fields for capture settings

:x: Adding more roadblocks; requiring users to fill out the fields

At what point will the company start to clean the system of junk ? It’s a minefield of junk and really I can’t be bothered with most of it , imo they need to implement a system which would benefit everyone otherwise you’d be better off just buying the ones you like from a different company.

5 Likes