Sound Quality Differences in standalone vs. DAW

Can you explain a little more?
I get it when you say “you have to create a FX Track”… but then? What should I do with the original track?
I’m using Cubase too.

Pretty sure he means.
You create a mono audio track then either route it or send it to an fx track. You can do this by right clicking the mono track with your guitar input then Add Track>FX Channel To Selected Channels. Then add the Neural plugin of your choice to that FX channel.

This however, means that when you monitor your track(to hear it when recording or playing) you will automatically also hear your dry signal unless you manually select the output routing to none.

You can also select the routing to go directly to the FX channel you created, but if you do this you have to turn off the Send which is automatically configured when you create an FX track this way(Right-click-FX channel to selected channels).

However, for me personally, neither of these configurations make much of a difference. As an insert directly on a stereo track configured with a mono input, or as an FX track. It still sounds slightly thinner and weird compared to the stand-alone version in Cubase. It sounds closer for me in Reaper(which is a shame because I’m a Cubase user).

1 Like

+1 anyone? still having same issues with standalone vs vst in reaper

This is probably not what you want to hear but if you change the recording mode to forced stereo it will sound extremely close in reaper.
That does mean that you can’t change your tone anymore on that recording, unless you record the DI separately on a track.