Quad Cortex as Audio Interface: How does it stack up to other interfaces?

I’m trying to do real-time audio effects processing via a DAW and synthesizer software, and I’m trying to determine if I should use a separate audio interface after the QC in the signal chain to get the lowest latency, or if I should use the QC as both a pedal and an audio interface.

How does the round-trip-latency of the QC as an audio interface (sending stereo audio/over 2 channels into and then 2 out of the QC by USB) compare to other audio interfaces, when also using the QC as an effects pedal (2 in/2 out)? Is QC average, above/below average, poor/excellent?

If using as the QC as an AI is better, then what is the best way to route stereo audio in the QC for the lowest latency when also using it as an audio interface?

1 Like

And before someone says it, yes I have tried to review the latency thread! This isn’t succinctly answered there

I a DAW there are lots of sources of latency.

1. The processing speed of the QC processor
  2. The A2D and D2A converters
  3. The USB serial interface
  4. The computer’s processing ability, and how busy it might be with other things
  5. The driver implementations
  6. The DAW and its implementation.

All these are doubled if you round-trip with software monitoring on in your DAW.

Some are more significant contributors to latency than others. But using QC through another audio interface can only make latency worse since it adds another set of A2D and D2A converters in the signal path.

I use QC as an audio interface for practicing and recording in Logic Pro on a MacBook Pro. I have not noticed any latency issues using software monitoring in Logic.

4 Likes

Here “old” 7700k with 32gb, Asus mb, i use Always qc as audio int.
I can Say that It sounds better as my scarletts 2nd and 3nd gen.
I use Asus mb because usually they use good USB controller (compatibility).
No latency issues

1 Like