Presets and Captures Issues

Is it me or do the majority of presets in the QC sound like they are made for Metal? I’m into older rock and blues and those kind of presets seem to be far and few between. I’m not complaining just an observation also I really wish the folks who are uploading presets (you are awesome) but I’m constantly finding missing and misspelled captures or the preset itself is missing parts and since there is usually no description
It’s really frustrating to have to search all through the app only to find out whoever uploaded the preset didn’t bother to double check their work and make sure everything is correct. Hopefully in the future the presets will become more diverse.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that a lot of metal players love the QC, and it sounds great for that. I didn’t notice in the beginning because I was able to dial in the classic rock tones I use quickly, and they sound great too. The QC is obviously good at doing a large variety of sound!!!

As for the uploaded presets / capures, NDSP are working on improvements for this, but it will only get better when more people realize how to use it properly. It’s still new to most, and it will take a little time to get use to how it works. I feel we will see it improving soon though.I haven’t done any captures or downloaded presets yet . I haven’t had much time between shows to devote the time yet, but I plan to get cozy with it this winter lol.

I set mine up to use in a cover band when I got it. I had planned to use the effects with my tube amp, but now my amp stays at home. The QC rocks! It has absolutely taken my performance up a level or two, and it’s so easy to use!

3 Likes

Hi All, I do agree that the QC is a fantastic device. My experience: I also could not find factory presets that are to my (personal!) taste, because I like tube-like, direct, clean, little overdrive, and using the volume on my guitar.

However with the community providing captures (thanks!) AND starting to create a sound from scratch (also to get to know the device) starting to get the results I like.

From personal experience:

• start from scratch (no amps, cabinets etc.) and find out how the device works/sounds
  • start with one amp and test it from soft to loud, browsing throught all the amps is quite fast, a you will (probably) start to recognize how the QC handles amp tones
  • same with speaker cabinet. I personally do not value too much the speaker description, because e.g. I think the 112 capture sounds more like a 212 cabinet than the 2*12 capture :slight_smile:
  • use parallel paths to create “layered” sounds that allow for lots of dynamics and nicely sustained tones
  • I like using scenes
  • Take the time to adjust / level out the volumes of the scenes and presets.

Another note on this. I also discussed with a sound engineer that a lot of modern tones are very dense, compressed and in one eq spectrum. He said that it had to do with mixing, band settings and soundscapes. Apparently the direct, dynamic, open guitar sounds are not always preferred by bands and sounds engineers. I still play with bands, so i will experiment with this and see how the band / public responds.

2 Likes

Anyone looking to for clean to edge of breakup should build a preset using the recently released Morgan 50 model. It takes pedals incredibly well and reacts to guitar volume how you are looking. Give it a shot!

2 Likes

@JPJonker , that’s the way I set mine up. I didn’t really listen to many of the factory presets. I like an edge of breakup tone so I started with the SLO crunch amp (tamed down a bit) then added drive blocks to push the amp for fills and leads. I set up the SLO lead amp for solo’s as well. I found it best to use the volume wheel between 90% and max. I just use it to turn it down if I need to now. There are many ways to tweak the inputs / outputs if needed. Just keep an eye on clipping and rock on!

I started using the Morgan (captain 50) amp when it came out last update. It does the tone I like the best as @MP_Mod has described. I love it!

As far as the crowd, either I’ve gotten better (yeah right) or they really love the sound of the QC lol. They are defiantly responding more to my solo’s now, and the QC just sits in the mix better than ever. This past weekend we played Friday, and Saturday night. Both nights the crowd was so loud it shocked me at times. The band loves my new toy too :sunglasses:

3 Likes

It would be great if folks uploading to the cloud would insert a description. Y’all loved your tone enough to share it now give us the ability to know what it is so we can love it too!

1 Like

I’d love to learn how to eq some of these sounds to get an open and more full tone. Modern is great but I also want to do covers and play some jam band music so, I don’t want it to sound compressed and modern all the time. I would love to hear about what you find as i experiment on my own. I want to try and capture Trey Anastaio’s live sound.

1 Like