Knob Rotation Clearance

Dough Castro commented on Discord regarding, the knobs, why they’re loose and if they’d get even looser:

“The switches aren’t going anywhere. The tolerances were a bit too big because on prototyping they were made too tight and we several issue of actuators feeling scratchy (nails on a chalkboard type) when rotating or pressing, and other issues. I decided to play it safe with the tolerance but maybe they could be tighten up. The actuators are reliable as hell, it’s just a matter of feel but yeah, it should feel as well as it’s designed and constructed.”

Yes. I understand about too tight will cause binding, etc…
The problem is the consistency. Some are 5, 10, 15, 30, and even 40 degrees. If you are manufacturing something. These discrepancies aren’t acceptable…
The right thing to do should be:
Right, 15 degrees is a sweet spot. Let’s make EVERY SINGLE KNOB 15 degrees.
That’s where my beef is… :slight_smile:

‘‘Now. Before you say: “Don’t compare a car with a quad cortex”. I will answer this:
You bought a super expensive product and you expect: “Precision, repeatability and consistency”
Precision and consistency are missing…’’

You are correct, but Quality (tight tolerances) comes with a cost, but no added value. - indeed a unit without defect is not of more value than one with defect since you’ll end up replacing the latter.
But it comes with a cost because it increases out of tolerance parts.

What we must ask ourselves is ‘‘does it make the unit defective, or work less well ?’’ if the answer is yes, then it must be looked upon, if not, then its because it’s an accepted tolerance design.

“What we must ask ourselves is ‘‘does it make the unit defective, or work less well ?’’ if the answer is yes, then it must be looked upon, if not, then its because it’s an accepted tolerance design.”

100%. I agree as long as the customers (not the manufacturer) have the final saying here.