Importing impulse response into plugins — what settings to use?

I own a few of the neural plugs and sometimes I like to use impulses designed in the mikko lab cab sim — just curious what settings I should use to export to be compatible with the neural plugs in terms of what bit rate (can go up to 32 bit I believe) and frequency ie 48 or 96 etc. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Howie

What is the difference between an impulse response and a cab? If I have so many cab options what does the IR do? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I know it’s several months late but I will respond. A cab in the QC environment is a visualized representation of a larger number of IR’s shot at varying distances and positions with a variety of microphones. Additionally I believe the QC software has some type of interpolation engine which allows the software to calculate the “sound” of an in between position — ie between where the ir was shot and where you have “positioned” your virtual mic. In contrast an “ir” is one fixed state of an impulse response. In some cases this is the exact sound you want to complete your tone and you are familiar with the ir and thus it allows for a quicker workflow or achieving a specific outcome. In terms of my question I wanted to learn the correct length and sample rate to use although the plugins automatically would convert it down if you used too long an ir or a higher sample rate.

1 Like