Hurray, the QC arrived, but

My personal expectations have not been fulfilled, yet, so for the moment I am very happy I did not sacrifice one of my Kempers to buy a QC, which I really was planning. But Neural has a cool team and the genes (hardware) of the QC are definitely there and if you see how Line6 or Kemper have been developing computer code and features for years (Helix is 6 years old, Kemper even 10) you can expect an equally good sounding QC in 2 or 3 years of programming and refining stuff. All the amps and fx with the best quality on the market will be added and optimised, I just cannot imagine otherwise. Is the QC a cool and very good unit? Yes, I would absolutely say so but it will be perfect only in the future. You don’t lose anything, neither by waiting a little longer nor by buying now, I would summarise in humbleness. I am waiting for future updates and optimisation before jumping in.

1 Like

This isn’t great. In a live situation if you need to reboot you will have to be careful to disconnect from the XLR outs. I am also running into this hum which means I have to disconnect or mute my amp input each time I power off the QC

Quad Cortex already sounds amazing right now. What don’t you like?

1 Like

Yes, it sounds good, as you say and from what I can tell from videos and reports. But maybe I initially expected too much of that exxagerated hype. I expected a perfect unit with all the features you get - as I said above - after two or three years of maturity. I don’t like at all the questionable reliability of the power plug, the temporary sound buzz issues and the switches being that narrow. But to be ansolutely honest I have to hear and play it myself to tell if its capturing is as good as profiling, that’s the main point for me. Although modellers are really not bad at all, I haven’t found any modeller that can do an AC30 like my Kempers can, for example. As I said: I will wait and see how it evolves with more and better FX, its DSP issues with too many FX, reliability of the power plug etc. And then of course I will try it out myself to see if the captures are equally good and if the narrow switches cause any problems on dark stages (with beer in my head).

I can see that. The hype made people expect the perfect unit out of the gate… I think Neural was behind with their development, but pressure from the community to release the unit was great. What they delivered may not be perfect for everybody, but they are working on improvements.
As it is now, for me, it’s a great sounding unit, easy to use with a ton of features and with huge potential to be even greater.
If it doesn’t work for you, I understand.

So you did know what you were ordering before it arrived, right? BTW…my AX3 can’t capture amps and pedals and that’s what most people that get the QC are after. I must say it’s better than my old Kemper for sure and stupid easy to use which is what we as guitarist need, plug in and play guitar. I sold my FM3 after getting the QC.

1 Like

I still own FM3 - as a backup.

I want my modeller to be “self contained”, no PC or tablet tethered at all. The Quad Cortex works for me. Am I in minority? So it be.

1 Like

The FM3 was a good combination of form factor (size) and awesome sound, yet it required a computer to be fully fonctional.
Yes you can do editing on the device itself, but not for me.

I did not want a computer.

QC does everything, love it

5 Likes

Hi Himself! I just wanted to thank you for your Rockman captures. They are simply super, super cool!!! :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

You have to have the mindset that:

Preset = song
Scene = song part

Scene switching is instant.

2 Likes

Hi himself,

Just noticed this. I have used your capture every day and I really like it! And I am open for any better versions any time… :smiley: :pray:

Hi Tommy,

Thank you for the kind feedback. After my initial attempts, I put aside the QC for quite a while for various reasons, but triggered by your post, I re-found it and thought, I’d have a second go. Much happier now.

Accordingly, I am also happy to announce that I just released a few new Rockman Ultimatum captures. I did a low, mid and high gain capture of my blue button Ultimatum. The real pedal responds slightly different to volume changes and pick attack (therefore the three versions), yet the captures are relatively authentic and even in an A/B check it is hard to tell the difference sound-wise.

Moreover, I re-did my grey button one in two versions both at pretty high gain, since I feel the original ones I did lack a bit of the holy grail “magic” of the real deal. For whatever reason the grey one is really difficult to capture with due justice. If I find time, I may do more attempts. In real life it sounds subjectively even better than the blue one when A/B’ed in my studio, which is why I did that one first. It is hard to explain in words though. It is somehow more “airy” yet at the same time fatter, but unfortunately it is also slightly more noisy. Anyway, with a bit of compression (and chorus for that Boston note) you probably wouldn’t notice the difference. Just thought I’d mention it to add to the myth grin. Be it as it may, they both sound great.

Have fun!

V<

Wow wow! First wow for that I am happy other that I triggered you to re-try with QC! :slightly_smiling_face: After Axe FX II and Kemper I know that QC is first very easy to start with and secondly, may take still some time to get exactly what you want to have. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for!

Second wow: really good news that you did some new capturing! I will certainly try these. Actually, I have never had a real Rockman. I just found the sound while browsing through hundreds of profiles in Kemper and fell in love with it immediately. But I do not know about these subtleties of it you mentioned. Sounds that you are just the right guy to profile it! :+1: :+1: :+1: