How are you making sure all presets are balanced?

Hey all. I used the QC on stage for the first time just now. I used a different preset for each song, and had different scenes for different parts of the song. The only downside was that it was a huge pain to balance volumes across the different presets.

So, how is everyone handling this? I’m sure there are more efficient practices

Good question. I’m sure this will come up for me soon too. Outside of using a decibel meter app on your phone, I’m not sure what the best method is on the QC.

Watching… :eyes:

there’s been a LOT of talk on this subject- between here and FB and Discord; a search should give you a lot of specific tips, but in general you can use meters to get you in the ballpark (LUFS might be preferable to dBs in this case) and then just ‘earballing’ by listening at gig volume and adjusting (this is the ONLY way to account for Fletcher Munson curve effects that will change perceived levels at higher volumes)

One option I don’t see mentioned very often is to assign an eXpression Pedal to the Output block of the QC and then you can adjust your overall volume level on the fly at any gig

2 Likes

“Earballing”, that is both freakin’ hilarious and an accurate descriptor. I use my volume pedal frequently in just the way you describe. Prefer having a volume block assigned to the EXP for strictly modifying my overall volume on-the-fly. I usually have it placed right before my delay and reverb, so my trails finish properly but the EXP won’t change the character of my other effects, e.g. drive, and amp/cab blocks. If I want to change the tone of the preset, for example, cleaning it up or adding more “punch”, I will use the volume pot on my guitar. The level change made from the guitar, affects the way the blocks downstream respond.

2 Likes

I have a “little” work on this but it is kinda effective. I generate a pink noise (with a HPF on 80hz and a LPF on 8khz-ish) on my DAW, route it to QC and return to DAW to measure the levels. I adjust the presets accordingly and have them about at the same level. Later I make some adjustment if necessary playing through studio monitors/power amp+Cab/FRFR wedges.

It is a lot of work but works for me everytime…

3 Likes

We have recordings in a DAW to play along / practice of our recorded rehearsal.

Since this is a full Band context I just take a known reference preset of mine of which I know that works perfectly in a band context and set it unity to Band Volume in my interface input Volume/Gain.

After that I take the new preset and adjust by ear since I know my previous Preset worked fine.

Then I recheck via a LUFS Meter (YouLean).

I have better results using white noise (with HPF and LPF almost like you)