Ground noise-hiss-over all annoyance

CorOS Version: 1.x

Describe your issue:

I keep getting a ton of ground noise, no matter where it’s plugged into my house.
I’m using the stock power supply. I run the quad via usb into my computer and use it as a daw with my monitors router into outputs 3 and 4
It’s an almost constant static sound behind every note I play, regardless of what gate or input gate I have on or off

When I do x, y happens
Every single time I play through the quad

Steps to reproduce your issue:

1. Step 1. Plug in quad with nothing else plugged in
  2. Step 2. Plug all inputs in once device powered on
  3. Step 3. Play through literally any preset.

I expected this to happen:
When I do anything at all

I have tried the following things:

• I have tried updating drivers. Factory resets. New cables. I get this noise whether I’m using xlrs or 1/4 or 1/4 to xlrs. Doesn’t matter.
    I’ve tried to plug it into differ walls. Different power outlets. Different power strips.
    I’ve turned the ground noise circuits on and off.
    I even tried a new usb cable. Nothing. Helped
1 Like

Do you have the same issue when just using headphones without anything (excluding the instrument) plugged in? If you still have the issue, you might try a backup, factory reset and restore to see if it resolves otherwise email support@neuraldsp.com so they can log the issue and get you resolved as quickly as possible.

I kind of remember reading that this kind of devices that power themselves over a power adapter (thus non-grounded) ground themselves to the audio output to which they are plugged in.
So, this would work in the case of a QC connected to a PA using its outputs 1/2 or 3/4, I guess, but not in the case of connecting it by USB to a computer and monitoring using headphones.
The Helix had its own power converter and was plugged into the power socket using a grounded cable, so no noise.
Does this make sense? Or maybe I am wrong about this?

(By the way, with northing plugged in more than my AudioTechnica headphones to use the QC as an audio interface with my Mac, I do hear some static)

The QC can get its ground over USB as well, that is why I suggested to test with just headphones to eliminate the PC / USB variable.

Hmmm, I did not know this…but if the computer is not grounded? My M2 Mac Mini has only a 2 poles socket plug, so it can’t be grounded…

1 Like

Me and my Sweetwater tech actually tested this last night.
I took it out of my studio, plugged it into multiple different outlets and just ran my headphones into it. Same exact noise.
Is it possible it’s the power supply ? And if so, should I consider running it on a Cioks?

Some have purchased alternate PS’s for multiple reasons, ground-noise, pedal-board power, backup power supply etc. The Cioks solution works nicely for pedal-boards where power is needed for multiple pedals. Apparently, it works nicely for ground related hum but there are alternate options for cheaper that also have had good results. I have never had any ground-related hum/noise but based on good feedback / recommendation etc., I wanted a backup and purchased the Globtech PS from Digi-Key which is more robust and works perfectly for me, YMMV.

Globtek PS Digi-Key part number: 1939-1233-ND for around $24 shipped in the US.
If you get it, it comes with three tips, use the larger yellow tip etc., also before you push the tip in, ensure the polarity is correct for QC (center negative).

I just tried with a higher end external power source (12V 5A), same static noise (very low, but I can hear it). Clearly a grounding issue.

I think right now, I’m going to go ahead and ship it to neural and have them check it. There’s clearly a hardware issue between this constant ground noise and the crackling I was getting before due to the usb port.
I have a feeling the usb port is a weak point. But because I’m getting this underlying buzz even with just headphones, that tells me there’s something happen in the device itself

3 Likes

Good luck! Hopeful for a quick turn-a-round from NDSP!

1 Like

Meeee too. I do not have a backup and I gig this thing haha
I really need to get myself a backup of some sort

Hoping they can fix this because I’m pretty excited about the plugin capability and the new editor coming !

1 Like

A slight buzz with just headphones is normal because the QC isn’t grounded without a connection to another device through the in or outputs. USB can ground the QC too, but you have to make sure the laptop / PC is probably grounded (a MacBook with the plug that has only two contacts for example is not grounded). If you connect the QC via USB to a grounded computer and at the same time to an interface, amp, or other gear through the in or outputs it can lead to a ground loop (the QC grounded by two connections to two different devices that are connected to the same electrical circuit and therefore creating a loop) that could cause noise. Same applies to possible combinations of two in or outputs connected to two different grounded devices). Make sure none of this is the case.

2 Likes

My computer is a 3 prong plug. When I check my outlets everything seems to be grounded properly there
I do have my monitors running into the outputs 3/4 via 1/4 to xlr. So they’re shielded. But do you think it could possibly be looping via the monitors?

If your outputs are going directly to the monitors and both are active powered monitors that could lead to a potential ground loop yes. Maybe try only connecting one monitor. I (and probably most others) run my QC into an interface, so no possible ground loop here, therefore I never actually thought about a ground loop caused by multiple monitors connected directly QC.
Out of interest: why do you run your monitors from the TRS outputs with a trs to XLR cable instead of using the xlr outputs?

So. I did that because I found the outputs 1/2 were much quieter than outputs 3/4. That’s mostly the only reason I did it that way haha.

I do have a good interface. I was just hoping I wouldn’t need to run what is essentially an interface into an interface.
But If that solves my noise problem. I may need to

Out curiosity. How are you routing your quad into your interface ?

1 Like

Since all presets I use are mono I just run output 1 of the QC to an input of my interface if I am going for direct monitoring. If I am using a DAW I connect the QC via USB only to my laptop and use the USB output in the DAW for monitoring.
Let us know how the test with only one monitor connected went :innocent:

What you could also try instead of only connecting one of your monitor speakers is to connect both to output 1 and 2 of your QC and lift the ground on one of them (only one to ensure a grounding through the other). If the noise is caused by a ground loop through your monitors connected to mains separately the noise should go away. You have to use Output 1 and 2 because Output 3 and 4 have no ground lift IIRC.

The one monitor did not help. :frowning:
I’m going to see if I can figure out how to run the quad into my interface. I’ve never done it before. So there maybe a learning curve there.
Is there a diagram somewhere maybe?

Ahh man. If I had two xlr cables I’d def do this
But I only have the xlr to 1/4 cables for running into 3/4

Also. Got the quad running through my interface.

Same noise. Also kind of a pain because I have to switch between monitoring and playing which…I don’t love haha.