Concerns around how captures work on Cortex Cloud

No news yet. I will write them again in a few days and will keep you up to date.

2 Likes

Any news regarding this subject? My main presets are based on third-party captures and I’m worried that a future factory restore (and the user deletes the capture) render my presets void and unusable.

1 Like

The capture process has always been: Once you save a capture and back up (locally or to the cloud) the capture is yours. Per NDSP, as long as those 3rd party captures are saved in a backup, you will have access to those captures. NDSP does not allow 3rd party captures to be re-uploaded if you aren’t the author therefore the only way to ensure you have access to 3rd party captures is to create them or complete a backup. Additionally if the 3rd party author deletes the capture(s) and you haven’t backup up prior to factory reset etc., you would obviously lose those captures.

2 Likes

OK great! So, as long as I have a backup of a preset with a capture, that capture will always be available for me, even if original uploader deletes it?

But, If I upload that preset to cloud and the original user have deleted the capture, other users won’t be able to download my preset fully? If I understood correctly.

Correct, and that has been the rules since day one as far as I am aware. The other thing to note is if a 3rd party creator deletes, renames or changes (overwrites) the capture you could be impacted unless you backup. I have had some great 3rd party captures that were deleted before I had a chance to backup so I try to backup frequently especially now that you can backup locally via Co Co

2 Likes

Great tip! I will perform another backup tonight just in case. Many thanks @MP_Mod for the explanation.

1 Like

No worries. Glad to help! I’ll leave this open as there may be more questions but that is the basics.

1 Like

So the capture will be deleted locally on my device (if it’s connected to the Internet) when the creator deletes it as long as I did not perform a backup including a preset containing this specific capture? Weird. Or did I misunderstood your second sentence?

Anyway: This is something that has to be added to the manual asap.

No, it won’t be removed from your machine; if your machine was “wiped” (accidentally or by factory reset) and you had no backup you would lose them.

2 Likes

Yes you misunderstood (or I miscommunicated) but no, it obviously won’t be removed locally as @xush indicated. This is the same rules/actions from day 1 etc., nothing has really changed in that aspect.

1 Like

Cool it’s that way since day one. Not cool that it isn’t written down anywhere since day one.

Agreed! I think I have heard the same question pop up every few months which points out the obvious that it should be simply documented within the manual. Note that I did escalate this thread to support for reference/suggestion etc. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like