Clipping during pedal capture

Hi,
I am trying to capture some pedals but having issues with clipping and get a warning during the Sanity Check phase of the capture even when the pedal is bypassed.
I have set both In 1 Level and In 2 Level at 0. If I lower the In 2 Level by -1dB I don’t get the warning, but why would I need to do that? It seems to suggest that gain is being added to the signal somewhere in the QC? To further test this I connected a cable directly from Capture Out to Input 2 during the capture and I get the same issue – clipping warning during Sanity Check.

Any ideas?

I’ve had this happen for sure. Sidenote- the effects loop in the QC boosts the signal about 4db, so I have to lower the effects loop block by that whenever I’m using it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a slight boost happening in the capture process. It’s possible some of the signals the QC sends have a little more output, esp if they’re a lower register. But I would just adjust the level slightly so the signal doesn’t clip. Esp if you’re just adjusting it by a db.

@SelfTitledLP is right !

there’s a 4.5db boost on the Sends and 0.1db boost on the returns (QC numbers report (latency, send levels, etc.))

If you want to set up your QC for Unity Gain, go to the mixer and adjust these levels (set and forget)…