Best way to get a solo boost?

Another basic one here, What’s the best way to get a good db jump for a solo tone without clipping the output block. I want to get something in the order of a 5db jump and have tried upping amp volume, speaker level, adding a post-effects master EQ to shape and add uplift… but anything meaningful seems to add a clipping warning to the lane output.

I’ve got my outputs down at around -16db and I’m not clipping on my output meters at all in my I/O matrix. I understand from the manual that I may be clipping one of the blocks in the grid but theres no way to see which block that is… but I achieve same result even if I just increase the lane output volume.

1 Like

I’d say your best bet is to reduce the preset volume so that your boost isn’t clipping anymore, and increase the output level to get back to the right volume. -16 is pretty low

Hi, this sounds like improper gain staging. Also I’d advise against a 5 dB solo boost, that’s way too much (front of house sound engineer speaking here ;)). 1 to 3 dB is plenty, if a mix is well done the solo barely needs anything. 5 dB would be immediately poking out and screwing up the balance so the solo doesn’t sit with the band anymore.

Regarding gain staging - set your outputs to 0 dB and then find the block(s) that have to high an output. Where is your master volume at?

Oh, we need to clarify again - what’s at -16 dB? Output metering average reading, output level display knob or big master volume?

Hi thanks for your information.

So I have Big volume knob at 100%

Then on the I/O matrix I have Out 1&2 which goes to FOH down at -16db.

That seems to get me a decent volume sent to our desk.

The clipping isn’t occurring in the desk it’s just on the lane output. I did lower my solo level and not getting any more of that now.