Best method for guitar solo boost

I’m already using overdrive and compression effects, what would be the most effective way to get an additional boost for my solos in a live situation?

Thanks!

1 Like

what Mode are you using live; Scene, Stomp, Preset, Hybrid?

There are several ways to boost, but would depend on Mode.

You could boost specific EQ freqs, use a gain block to increase level momentarily (tied to stomp, scene or XP pedal), you could even use scenes to switch IRs for a completely different tone/response

1 Like

Thanks for your response! I’m using Stomp mode. I haven’t delved into the other modes yet. Stomp makes the most sense to me, and I’m using it Sunday (I just received my QC yesterday).

Thanks!

1 Like

when you get a chance, you might want to investigate Scene or Hybrid (scene+ stomp) mode before you do too much tweaking. Scene mode will let you change parameters on the fly where stomp pretty much only lets you turn blocks on/off.

For a solo boost in stomp mode you’d probably want to toggle on a gain block that increases the level a bit, or turns on an EQ with boosted mids.

Scene mode will ultimately give you MANY more efficient options, it’s worth looking into when you have time later.

Also, really dig into some of the factory presets and their configurations. Many have solutions for your “solo boost” situation already built in; studying how they do it will expand your knowledge and may show you easier ways to do things

2 Likes

Awesome, I will explore those other modes! I’m really excited about learning all of the different ways that the QC operates. I upgraded from a POD HD 500X which served me well for 9 years. I know that the QC will give me many years of good use. Thanks for the suggestions!

1 Like

I think it is more effective to boost using an equaliser and boost only the mid frequencies (1500, 2000 Hz). 1.5 db is enough. If you boost all frequencies you will probably have a dirtier sound.

2 Likes

if you boost after the overdrive / distortion (or after the amp and cab if you are going DI) the sound shouldn’t get any dirtier but just a tad louder.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that, if your presets are already programed so their output is just under maximum, you’ll need to reduce their level to give you headroom for a boost. Check the output meters before you proceed.

2 Likes