Best way to add some external drive pedals if I'm using the 4 cable method?

I have three external drive pedals that I would like to use with my Quad Cortex. I currently run the QC into a Victory amp effects loop, and at the moment the pedals just run directly into the input of the QC.

Is this the best way to proceed, or should I be using them in an effects loop? If so, what is the best way to set this up? When i attempted it previously there was no way to add the effects loop that the pedals were in to the preset I was building.

Cheers!

1 Like

I haven’t done it myself with my QC yet but have with my Helix and Fractal, both which I used to run in 4CM. Since there are 2 Fx Loops on the QC, you would use one for your 4 cable connections to your amp and then use the other loop to patch in you external pedal.Then in your preset just add a another loop block somewhere in the signal chain before the loop block going to the amp just like you would with any overdrive pedal.

Make sure your real pedal is always on and active and then control the bypass state in the block in the QC. This way, you won’t need to step on your pedal to turn it on and off, the QC will control the state through the loop block. So for instance if you have a clean guitar scene, you would bypass the loop block connected to the pedal and then enable it when you need overdrive in a different scene.

Hope this is helpful.

One thing I missed is that you have 3 pedals you’re using. You would still follow the same procedure I stated before except that you won’t have control of the individual pedal on/off states using just the QC. They’d either all be on or all be off by bypassing/enabling the loop block in the chain. You may be able to purchase an external loop that can be controlled via MIDI and plug your pedal into it and the into the loop of the QC and control each pedal individually by sending MIDI commands to the external loop using the foot switches on the QC.

Depending on the type of pedals you’re using another thing you can do which may be more flexible and inexpensive would be to capture your pedals using the QC. Then you can just place the captures into the preset wherever you need them to be and activate or deactivate them like any other internal effect.

1 Like

Hey boss! I had a big question I was trying to figure out with the FM3 I’m going to DM you

I guess it won’t let me message you directly; weird.

Anyways, I’m also running the 4CM with the FM3, but I also want to add external pedals into the front and back of the amp ( and possibly through the FM3).

I know the FM3 doesn’t have as many loop inputs as the FM9 so how would I go about achieving this?

Thank you!

This is probably a question best asked on a fractal forum, where more users will be familiar with the UI etc.