Anyone using Tone master Fr-12 with QC

Looking to get an FRFR. Was between a Laney and a Headrush but then spoke to Sweetwater rep and he is recommending a Fender Tone Master FR-12. I can’t find too much info on anyone doing this already with a QC so thought I would check here to see if anyone has experience doing this. Thanks!

I’m not familiar with Fender FR-12 but there are plenty of discussions here about what FRFR cabs people like. Be sure to use the search feature, you can’t miss.

I’ve spent plenty of time in the forums doing just that. I haven’t seen anything about the Tone Master yet so wanted to reach out particularly since it was recommended by Sweetwater and also because, price and weight wise, it sits between the headrush and Laney products.

That cab is so new I wouldn’t be surprised if many people haven’t used it with QC yet. This Ola England video mentions the frfr cab a little and he seems to like it- https://youtu.be/Ka8U0YBVOus?si=APcQLTN_-KIgNX-H

Seems like a cool option for an frfr esp with the EQ, and it actually looks like a real cab. I can’t handle the frfr stuff that doesn’t look like a real amp.

I have the tone master Fr-10 and I’m using it with my qc daily. The sound is great and it is loud enough, for every Jam/Gig I had. Just be warned, that it is not silent or near silent, like studio monitors. Other than the slight hiss, I really like it. Looks like an amp, feels a bit more like an amp and the built in EQ is very helpful. Also it is very light and easy to carry around.
For me it’s perfect, but it makes a sound, when it’s turned on. The good news is, the hiss won’t get louder, when you turn up the volume.

2 Likes

Is there a hiss even with a noise gate in your signal chain?

It was there just by turning it on. But the fine folks at thegearpage found a way to minimise the noise by changing chips and now fender uses the same method . Mine was noisy so I contacted fender and my seller. Now I have a noise free version, which sounds great.
I can highly recommend them now

1 Like

We’ve got one onstage with us, it’s from the latest batch and works great. No extraneous noise, works great as an on-stage monitor

The ‘new’ batch seems to have solved the irritating humming fault :blush:

1 Like

OP here. To follow up . . . I ended getting a Tone Master FR-12 and am very happy with it. No noise in my unit and sounds great. The only complaint I have is that there is only the one input. For practicing at home, it would be nice to have a second input to run backing tracks into off of my iphone. This can be done with a mixer of course, but that just adds another piece of equipment. I also understand that this can be done with a Lightening to USB adapter into the QC which I have not tried yet.

1 Like

Thinking about the FR10, for home use ?

me too. If so, I’d be able to compare it to the 12 at our studio. Still kind of keeping an eye open for something used/local with more features.

I got to try one out a few days ago and love the FR10! Great deal on a powerful FRFR that would perfect for home studio and or band gigs. Sounded great with the QC (and other modelers)!

1 Like

I’ve used it multiple times with the qc in a jam situation, with bass another guitarist and a loud drummer and never had problems with th FR-10. I tried a lot of frfr-solutions, but for me the Fender Fr-10 is the best. Not too big, looks like and amp, feels very good to play and the with the onboard EQ I can use my patches without altering them on the QC. Also the new version without the hiss makes this complete.

3 Likes

Good to hear……
I think this will be next on the list

1 Like

Anyone tried the 12 inch version for bass?

Tried the 10 for guitar only…

What was your thoughts?

Only had a try for 2 hrs or so ( was a friend’s).

The onboard Tone, Bass controls allowed me to adjust my already amazing captures for a perfect ‘ amp in the room ‘ touch

1 Like

Yeah the onboard EQ really helps tailor the cabinets to the room. I don’t know if there is any better value than the FR-10/12 currently!

1 Like