I’m using QC for practice with my band. I used to go into my Boss Katana 100 but we recently bought a powered mixer with passive PA speakers and we’re all using that (except for the drummer…).
I’m having a hard time configuring my volume aka. gain staging as I understand. The main problem is I’m almost always clipping on the mixer input (red light on or flashes when I strum harder), the other problem is volume output across presets/scenes.
This is my usual setup before practice:
- Master volume knob is always at 100
- Plug the guitar into Input 1
- Pulldown for IO settings, go to Input 1 strum hard and set a proper input level so that I don’t clip over red. This is usually at around 0.0 dB).
- IO settings, go to Out 4 as this is what I’m using as output, with a TRS cable direct to mixer, and set out level to approx. -15 dB.
- On each Preset I select Out 4 (or Multi…) and based on some forward/backward testing for clipping on the mixer set Volume to -11.4 dB.
I usually leave Amp volume at 0.0 dB as that would be just too much fiddling over all my presets and scenes within.
Is this the right way to do this?
Also are these values expected (IO Out at -15 dB, Preset out at -11.4 dB)?