Input Impedance ..?

I can’t see anything in the manual on HOW to use the variable impedance input pot … is that the equivalent of Kemper’s ‘sag’, or is it to compensate for the power of different guitar pickups … or is it something else completely?

1 Like

I don’t think that has anything to do with sag. Maybe this description on the impedance knob from page 15 of the manual?

Sets the impedance of the Hi-Z input
from between 10K to 10M. This option is only available when “TYPE” is set to “Instrument”.

I hope in the future you can control impedance as a parameter. On the Helix you can set it up to toggle the input impedance with a footswitch, which I’ve done when toggling a fuzz in stomp mode.

1 Like

Thanks Riko, I read that too but it still didn’t tell me what it does or how to use it, perhaps it is a compensation for going from S to H pups. … i’ll check out Helix’s explanation on how their’s is used.

Having read the manual now i’m sure there will be a revised and more thorough version in a while, and hopefully one that will print with black type on a white background.

1 Like

The impedance control is to provide the same load on your guitar pickups as the real deal. While most guitar amps have an input impedance of ~1MΩ, some fuzzes only have an impedance of 10KΩ. That loading of the pickups has a significant effect on the resulting tone so variable impedance is part of the deal when modeling such devices.

2 Likes

Hi… I would recommend this video… it’s about the Helix but the concept of input impedance and the use case applies to all modellers (and the same consideration is true of real pedals, which is why many fuzz pedals don’t like buffers in front because they change the impedance before hitting the fuzz).

3 Likes