Gapless preset swithching/spill-over between preset changes

I know it is written explicitly that the “inevitable” gap between preset changes will occur, so I can’t claim I wasn’t warned. Nevertheless, I really wonder why this is de facto inevitable in the most powerful pedal modelller on the planet in year 2021. I have many other devices, which have no perceived gaps (or at least much less) or/and which support spill-over of delay/reverb between even complex preset changes. Please implement at least spill-over, since I can’t cram all my sounds into one preset and solve the issue using scenes (tried yesterday, but QC runs out of resources…). Are there other workarounds apart from adding a further physical delay/reverb device after the QC?..

As I understand it, the delay comes when you allow complex signal chains because it takes time for the processor to set up the new signal chain in memory, interrupting audio flow. The way some devices (GSP-1101 and more recently Helix) accomplish gapless preset changes is to reserve half the processing power and have the new chain set up before switching the audio stream to the new path. Question is, who wants to give up half their device’s CPU?

1 Like

Sure, it takes resources, but if other highend (and even low-end) devices can do it, why can’t the QC?

After all they claim that “Quad Cortex is the most powerful floor modeler on the planet. With 2GHz of dedicated DSP from its Quad-Core SHARC® architecture, this ludicrous amount of processing capacity provides limitless sound design possibilities.” and “Want to run four amplifier models, stereo reverbs, and a plethora of other effects simultaneously? Quad Cortex won’t even break a sweat.”…

Accordingly, it is hard to buy the argument that the device should not have resources to at least do spill-over between presets. That’s simply self-contradictive.

By the way, you are right; it seems there are bigger gaps between more complex presets than between simpler ones.

I think the half power reservation approach deserves to be an option. While this may not be for everyone, I think there are people out there who will be satisfied with two stereo paths for all their tasks, and would prefer to have a gapless preset changes.

2 Likes

I have no issue with it being an option the way it is on Helix. OTOH, I think a lot of folks would slow their roll on gapless switching if they could only use two paths in a preset.

2 Likes

Hey, you explicitly asked for presets but there is a workaround for switching sounds between scenes.

You cannot simply disengage/ bypass inputs or outputs but you can disengage/ bypass split signal paths.
You also cannot bypass your effect blocks (because you will have parallel DI sounds with your desired one.

Example with 3 tones:

1. Use signal splitting (either as first block or after your gate f.e.)
  2. Turn it to A/B on row 1 & 2
  3. For scene #1 (to avoid confusion) leave volume A intact and turn signal B OFF
  4. On your “lower”/ second signal split (row 3 & 4) turn OFF that A + B
  5. For scene #2 turn OFF path A (on row 1 & 2) and have path B engaged. Second split (row 3 & 4) still OFF.
    and so on…

Hope this helps. It’s a tedious work around but it is cleaner than turning down the volume on your amps (-60db is not nothing to me). But you can experiment with that, too, of course.