Can't get a good tone to save my life!

Dude just listen to this and tell me if this sounds bad to you

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CC1HYebpP53/?igshid=yvmdnhrwej5t

I used a cheap behringer interface which cost around 40 bucks.
No di box.
Esp ldt m-50 guitar i think, with year old strings
Fender jack 10 ft long

What I saw on the vid is an Ibanez and a Cort…

I mean, it’s not the worst but it could definitely use some clarity on it. You also have to keep in mind that bass always makes half of what people perceive as “guitar tone” so that also plays a factor as to how good it sounds.

1 Like

I want to be clear I am worried about my sound before mixing. I realize the relationship between bass and guitar and kick and I feel fairly confident in mixing, but what I’ve noticed is that my mixes of other bands sound way better than mixes of my own songs so it must have to do with the source recordings–so I’m focusing on getting everything right there.

I can tweak and tweak away and get my tones usable, but I want them to be as good at the source as possible.

In that case you also have to realise that some amps are better for some guitars/styles than others. I had to search and search for an amp solution that actually had the tone that I was targeting for a long time and I found that in the bx_megadual…

The big project I’m working on right now is for a video game. I’m doing sort of a jMetal powermetalish type of deal. Any suggestions amp-wise for something like that?

But beyond that, you agreed my DI sounded dull. I just went with a shorter cable and there was no discernible difference. A spectrogram showed maybe a couple of blips more in the 1k range.

those were just for video i recorded with an esp ltd

And yeah the mix could use some work but overall it sounds decent to me

Also try some free amp sims and see if you get the same problem eg Nalex Ninja @Lemerchand

I have @prashurya.goswami! All of the lepous, the Emmisary, and Black Rooster’s Cypress. I’ve done dozens of IRs too. At this point I’m more worried that its in my hands/cables/interface than anything

Just in case anyone is wondering what my tone tends to sound like after I mix, here are some examples (note: these are before I installed the Nazguls, and use various amp sims).

https://app.box.com/s/sheq5q0cp434s2tw5z307mn2eqykzema

Honestly in your case I’d look into Amped Super Duper from ML Sound Labs, but what I think you need more than amp solutions is better bass stuff. Currently I use the Darkglass B7K Ultra plugin in front followed by the Parallax, both from Neural DSP.

@Lemerchand yeah look into some better pickups too

I put Nazguls into it and they seem to be fairly well praised

Nah nowadays the Black Winter are all the hype.

The Nazgul is active right? … maybe a battery swap?

Nope. Nazguls are passive as well. I think the only Seymours that are active are the original Dave Mustaine set and the Blackouts. I should be the one worrying about batteries because I’m running EMG.

Have the exact same problem. Created threads on various forums about “muddy di” with no solution.
I have a schecter hellraiser with an emg81 which sounds like nothing like the samples i have found on the internet. Its weird that some ppl complain how it lacks low end…
The strat i am using have no chime because it also sounds like it lacks high end.
So far I have swapped audio interfaces, tried both mac and pc. Suspected about the wiring of the house but the problem persists when the macbook is plugged or not.
Only workable solution i found is high passing the di at 150-200 hz and boosting the 4khz 8khz range depending on the tone i seek.
Any kind of help is appriciated.

1 Like

Please share a sample

This is the forum post i created on ultimate guitar. Which also contains the di sample of the emg 81.

For the love of God run the di to Archetype Nolly and hear how shitty it sounds lol. Especially with the factory presets.

Did you check the pickup wirings?